Over time you may notice yourself or a loved one become less active in later years.
Getting out of the house is an important part of mental and physical health. The temptation for seniors to sit and watch television grows as their mobility decreases with age. We recommend that caregivers, family members, and friends encourage older adults to explore their own town!
Older adults on a fixed income may be concerned about spending money to enjoy activities away from home. The great news is that many museums and local gathering places have free events each month!
Below is a list of activities in our area to inspire your next local adventure.
Visit Historical Sites
- Anderson-Price Memorial Building
- Athens Theatre
- Birthplace of Speed Park
- Bulow Plantation Ruins State Historic Site
- Carl S. Swisher Library
- Cracker Creek
- DeLand Naval Air Station Museum
Explore a New Museum Exhibit
- Halifax Historical Museum
- Museum of Arts & Sciences
- Cici and Hyatt Brown Museum of Art
- Southeast Museum of Photography
- Sugar Mill Botanical Gardens
Try A New Restaurant | 9 Must-Try Restaurants in Daytona Beach (area)
- Mike’s Galley
- Crabby Joe’s
- Donnie’s Donuts
- Sloppy Joe’s
- Senor Taco
- Don Vito’s
- Zeno’s Boardwalk Sweet Shop
- Cow Lick’s
- Angell & Phelps Chocolate Factory Tour
- The Casements
- Friends of the Bandshell Concert Series
- Mary McLeod Bethune Foundation Home & Gravesite
- North Peninsula State Recreation Area
- Ormond Memorial Art Museum & Gardens
All of the activities above link to more information for your convenience. Next time you decide to be a tourist in your own town, we recommend planning ahead. Call first to make sure the activity is senior friendly and make sure you have good directions.
Always practice sun safety when doing outdoor activities. Older adults can be high risk for dehydration or overheating.